Thursday, November 19, 2015

He Knows Me Through and Through



For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son (Romans 8:29)

What a wonderful thing to be known by God! The elders use to pray, “You know us Lord, better than we know ourselves.” His knowledge about me is greater than my comprehension will ever be in this life. God knows us through and through. He meticulously made me for a certain end: “to be conformed to the image of his Son, Jesus Christ.

Some limit foreknowledge to mere “foresight” or that God knows what will happen before it happens. But God’s foreknowledge is so much more than that. The word speaks of a determinant design. The idea is captured beautifully by David when He says, “you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” And the extent of God’s intimate innate blueprint of “whom he did foreknow” is stated in Jeremiah, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”

Another analogy is that of a parent already knowing the things of life that his or her child will discover. He made us for a purpose, and that purpose is to be the elect of God. We’ve been set to that end. In that day, one’s knowledge of self will catch up with His knowledge as Paul says, “But then shall I know even as also I am known.”

The knowledge of who I am, and what God intended as He created me, is something I discover as I live and yet I can never discover what He has not known.  Again, the Psalmist is abundantly clear, “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Our personality, proclivities, passions, placement, etc. were all aimed by God for our redemption.

No comments: